18 July 2012

Book Review: Between The Lines

 

 



The Blurb on the Back:
What happens when happily ever after…isn’t?


Delilah hates school as much as she loves books. In face, there’s one book in particular she can’t get enough of. If anyone knew how many times she has read and re-read the sweet little fairy tale she found in the library, especially the popular kids, she’d be sent to social Siberia…forever.



To Delilah, though, this fairy tale is more than just words on the page. Sure, there’s a handsome (well, okay, hot) prince, and a castle, and an evil villain, but it feels as if there’s something deeper going on. And one day, Delilah finds out there is. Turns out, this Prince charming is real, and a certain fifteen-year-old loner has caught his eye. But they’re from two different worlds and how can it ever possibly work?



My Thoughts:



The first Jodi Picoult book I read was Nineteen Minutes and I have been a huge fan of her work ever since. Whenever I saw a book of hers that I hadn’t read, I knew I had to get my hands on it. I love that some of her stories don’t necessarily end the way that you might at first expect them to; there is usually a twist in the plot and something completely unexpected happens. During the winter break from University, I was luck enough to have a few quiet moments to myself where I got to pick up a book of my choice and just immerse myself into a world where I could just enjoy a book from beginning to end. When I heard about Between the Lines, a collaboration book written by Jodi Picoult and her Daughters Samantha van Leer, I knew I had to get this book and I needed to read it right away!




From the moment I knew it was a modern spin on fairy tales, I was sold. I’m one of those girls who loved, and will always love, the Disney fairy tales and their elegant princesses, their evil villains and their charming princes. I know there are other girls like me and regardless of how old or how young we are, we can’t help but get lost in the world of magic and romance. Between the Lines definitely has that modern take on the fairy tale genre and what I noticed about it was the modern day references that were mentioned, especially relating to pop culture, which adds to that modern day feel.



I believe, that although this book really tries to put a modern spin on fairy tales, it’s hard to relate or connect to the protagonist. I’m in my mid-20’s and so connecting with or understanding Delilah is a bit tricky. Oliver on the other hand came across as incredibly one dimensional and I don’t mean that as a joke, he just seemed to lack a lot and there wasn’t much substance to him; but perhaps that is understandable considering the part that he plays.



Overall, I think the book is fun and light hearted. It’s an easy read, it’s nothing too serious or dark and I think quite a lot of people would be able to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping my and reading my blog. I have to apologize in advance, my blog does require word verification in order to comment. I know how frustrating this can be, I hate having to enable this process, but I really do appreciate comments.

I am simply trying to ensure human beings are leaving comments rather than spam-bots!