24 October 2012

A Girls Guide to James Bond: Dr. No

Dr No 


Ladies (and Gentlemen?) let me introduce you the devilishly suave Sean Connery or better known in this context as Bond, James Bond. Set in Jamaica, this movie is filled with overly choreographed fight scenes and awkward phone calls, where you can just tell by the acting that there is no-one on the other side of that phone. The men are sophisticatedly dressed; their hair slicked back and coifed to perfection; and alcohol and cigars are in abundance. Welcome to the world of James Bond.


James Bond #1

(For those playing at home, this is James Bond.)

So for a quick summary, I’ll break it down for you. I have to admit, I got lost within the first 20 minutes and started wondering what the hell was going on. Be aware at this point that if you actually want to watch the movie, I’m about to release a whole tone of spoilers. If however, you have no intention of watching the movie and you just want to impress people you know, keep reading.



First of all, there’s three guys at the beginning of the movie, walking along to a calypso version of three blind mice. Turns out they are actually assassins known as the three blind mice. Ingenious really.

So, the three blind mice kill a gentleman and this is where I got lost because as it turns out, he’s actually an agent which is why James Bond (007) is sent out to Jamaica (he has to go investigate…duh!).



Some hilarious fight scenes and talking happens. And then this:


Spider


Kudo’s to you Mr Bond because, I don’t know about my readers, but I would not stay that calm in the face of danger.

Another important thing to mention is the car. Everyone needs to know about the car! Unfortunately, the car in Dr. No is stock standard with no modifications or gadgets (if you’ve NEVER seen a James Bond Movie, I’ll let you know now – the gadgets thing becomes a pretty big deal!) For Dr. No, Bond drives a blue Sunbeam Alpine convertible.


Car



And what a beautiful little car she is. Aside from my being a big sci-fi nerd and lover of literature, I have a soft spot for a decent looking automobile and this baby is definitely a stylish little lass.

Speaking of Ladies, lets not forget the Bond Women, because they also play an integral part (more or less). Now, various women appear in the first half of this movie, but the only one you really need to know about is Honey Ryder. What a name.


Honey Ryder



It’s at this point where I started wondering why everyone introduces themselves with their last names first. “Ryder, Honey Ryder”.


All the while this is happening, there is something more sinister going on. Because who really cares about a dead agent when there’s signals being blocked to American rockets.

And then, it is when Bond, Ryder and Dr. No are finally sitting down to a quaint little meal that we discover that Dr. No is planning on sabotaging the American rocket launch because he’s basically having a sook that everyone rejected him. I’m not kidding, read between the lines folks. Oh and by the way, what is with the giant mutant fish in the background? It’s hilarious just based on the distracting mutant fish.  Queue the capture of Bond and Honey Bee, I mean Ryder.



A whole bunch of boring things happen and Sean Connery James Bond gets free.

So then just as the Americans are trying to do their Rocket launch, Dr. No boots up his evil rocket-radio-signal blocking machine while wearing an outfit that gives bubble boy a run for his money.

Just in the nick of time, Bond steps in – sets off the reactor thus resulting in another fight scene and whole bunch bubble-people running for their lives! Whilst Dr. No is killed by being boiled to death after an altercation with our hero.



(The American Rocket launches without a hitch)

And everyone lives happily ever after.
 
Some more vital information
James Bond – Sean Connery
Honey Ryder – Ursula Andress


Dr. No - Joseph Wiseman



The movie was released in 1962 and it’s budget for filming was $1 million. It made $59.6 Million in the Box office.

Weapon of Choice (source)
Walther PPK 7.65 millimeter with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window, it takes a Brausch silencer with very little reduction in muzzle velocity...the American CIA swear by them.

Quotes
James Bond
: Good evening, sir.
M: It happens to be 3 a.m.
//
Dr. No: The Americans are fools. I offered my services, they refused. So did the East. Now they can both pay for their mistake.


//
Miss Moneypenny: Flattery will get you nowhere - but don't stop trying.
//

2 comments:

  1. Sweet. Now I can actually say something when my boyfriend asks me about this movie.
    That car is pretty good looking. Shame no gadgets though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I learned: Being James Bond means never screaming for spiders.

    BECAUSE LOOK AT THAT SPIDER, EW, EW, EW.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping my and reading my blog. I have to apologize in advance, my blog does require word verification in order to comment. I know how frustrating this can be, I hate having to enable this process, but I really do appreciate comments.

I am simply trying to ensure human beings are leaving comments rather than spam-bots!